Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

RTT: Special Delivery Edition

Tuesday, already??? How did that happen? I'm rebeling up with Stacy again, since Keely is STILL putting RTT on hiatus. 
Soooooo, guess what random thing happened to me yesterday? I HAD A BABY!!! That's right, Han Solo made his grand entrance on April 4 at 10:33am after 20 hours of very hard labor, weighing 5 pounds 6 ounces and 19" long. He's tiny and perfect and adorable (he looks like me, so what do you expect?) and quite likable, really. This is important.  Some babies aren't likable, but he is.  I could be biased, but I think not.  Here are some random thoughts/happenings from yesterday:

*I am freaking awesome.  What?  You push out a baby and tell me you don't think you're awesome.

*Labor sucks. There are no 2 ways about it. Labor is just awful.

*Telling yourself it's not so bad and that the pain is all in your head is a big fat lie.  It hurts like a beeyotch.

*The person who invented the epidural should have been given a gazillion dollars.  His photo should be on all the money in the entire world and every town should have a statue of him.  I'm just sayin'.

*Having a baby in a German hospital is a very different experience from having on in an American hospital.  In a good way.  The Germans were very touchy-feely instead of clinical.  It felt much more...family orientated.  You know, if your family includes an OB, a midwife, and a midwife assistant and they all stand around looking at your business.

*German women labor naked.  I did not.

*James Bond nearly passed out several times.  Of course he's been through delivery with me before, but at American hospitals, they kind of cover everything up.  Not so much over here.  The first time he nearly lost it was when he saw the needle for the epidural.  He was with me when I got it for Indy, but didn't see it.  This time, he did and he went quite pale and his legs nearly gave out.  Another time was when he was trying to match my breathing during a contraction.  He got light headed. I told him to stop and he said he couldn't help it.  I laughed and said if he hit the floor, he'd just have to stay there because I was busy.  And then during the pushing phase, he said he was pushing right along with me and almost hit the floor.  

*James Bond was pretty awesome himself during the whole labor process.  Not as awesome as me, but still.  He rubbed my back and my feet and in my book, that is super awesome.

*During the earlier parts of labor James Bond and I walked the halls of the hospital to keep the contractions going (after 10 hours, no way was I going to let them stop).  The hospital is built around a courtyard, so the halls make a big square.  We walked and walked and walked.  At some point, I began softly sing  the song "I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more..."  At 3 am, this was freaking hilarious.   By 5am, I really felt like I had walked 500 miles.  All in a square.

*After giving birth, I was brought a bottle of champagne, compliments of the hospital.  Germany is AWESOME.
*Indy thinks Han Solo is perfect.  He's right of course.  He came to see him for the first time yesterday afternoon and was thrilled to get to hold him.  Indy says he's the perfect baby brother.  We'll see how long tht lasts. 

*No silly photos today, just a whole bunch of cute:





These photos were taken right after he was born, so he's still covered in goo.  Once I pry the camera out of James Bond's hands and can download non-goo photos I'll post more.  I took some great shots of him and Indy yesterday, but James Bond ran off with the camera before I could download them.  Darn it.

So, have a great Rebel Random Thoughts Tuesday and come back tomorrow for more cutie pie photos.



19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE awesome for pushing out a baby! He's ridiculously cute; congrats!!

Stacy Uncorked said...

You. Are. AWESOME! And so is Han Solo! Awwwwwwwwwwww! CONGRATS, Mama! James Bond is definitely a keeper - glad he didn't hit the floor at any time. ;)

Thanks for the shout-out and rebelling along with me!! You ROCK! :)

April Fool Snow, Satellite Dog, Cool Dragon - RTT Rebel

Samantha said...

Congratulations! Han Solo is adorable and I can't wait to see non-goo pictures, too!

VandyJ said...

Congrats on your adorable little man. And welcome to the out numbered club. I, too, have two little men and one big one. Makes life very interesting. Congrats again and he really is too cute for words.

deb said...

Perfect little man! Great job...

Unknown said...

Yay for awesome you- congratulations on the new addition, he is perfect, you aren't the least bit prejudiced. Some babies have it and some- hopefully grow into it. ;)

Toni said...

Congratulations!!! He's SOO Tiny! He's smaller than my Kiddo was when he was born and I thought he was small!

Happy Tuesday! Happy Day after Han Solo's Birthday!

Michele Feltman Strider said...

Congratulations, awesome one!

Amanda said...

Congratulations!! What a wonderful day for your family. Thanks for the 'awesome' recap of your L&D...a video of you singing in between contractions would have been the icing on the cake! Enjoy your new, sweet baby!!

Raven said...

Congrats! Congrats! CONGRATS! I just can't say it enough. You are so awesome! And Han Solo is just adorable!! I love babies. :D

instant student said...

He is adorable, congratulations!

Krista said...

Congratulations! You should also be commended for blogging the day after pushing out that little peanut! I don't think I had time to go near a computer for at least a week after giving birth. Congrats again!

rockygrace said...

Congratulations!

Satakieli said...

I love him! what a cutie, congratulations!

And re: laboring naked, I remember asking my OB at the hospital in Texas if "I really needed to bother with these silly gowns when everyone was looking at my business anyway". His eyes popped a little at this silly Brit, but he didn't reply. I think he thought I was joking?

Congrats again! I'm so bummed I'm not in Germany to meet him!

Becca said...

Congratulations!! Well done! He's a good looking little guy. Can't wait for more pics! Bask in your awesomeness and enjoy Han Solo!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Congratulations, mama! :) He is a beautiful baby!!! Good job!!

Carol-Anne said...

Yahoo for you! What a cutie and I'm so glad all went well.

Heather H said...

Congratulations on the beautiful new baby boy!

I agree with you...you are awesome! Can't believe you are blogging the day after you gave birth!

I also agree about the hospital. That is freaking awesome!!

And I want to agree about the epidural, but I didn't have such a great experience with mine.

Again, congrats on the baby! So thrilled for your family!

Decor To Adore said...

Twenty two years ago on April 4th I delivered the Fashionista at the age of 20 with no epidural. That event was such a boost to my self esteem. Such a great feat! I am woman, hear me roar.

He is truly lovely and no doubt like all April 4th babies will grow up brilliantly.

Now on to the next post to once again drool over the goo free images. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...