Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Book...er, Wine...er, Movie Club?

This past Tuesday night I hosted my book club at my house (which is why I missed RTT-sadness). Once a month a different member hosts and August was my month. Now, you all know I like to throw get togethers and parties, right? Of course you do. Since book club is all ladies, I could do something fun and dainty and, well, girly. Yay! Our book was Persuasionby Jane Austen. Since it was a JA book (and who doesn't love JA?  No one, that's who), I pulled out all my fantastmic new flea market dishes with their beautiful transferware designs and planned my party.  At first I thought about doing an English tea, but who was I kidding?  We weren't going to drink tea!  We likes the wine.  In fact, when we say Book Club, it is usually accompanied by the phantom drink hand raise (you know, like you're holding a glass and bring it to you mouth), because, let's be honest, we do a lot more drinking of wine than we do talking about books.  Oh, sure, we do get some book discussion in, but not a whole lot.  Somehow we always end up talking about Twilight (squee!) and no, I'm never the one to bring it up.  Funny, how that works.
So, since I wasn't going to do a tea, I decided my lovely tea cups would be perfect for punch.  My menu included the following:

Super Easy Tortellini Salad (I have to thank Hope Studios for this recipe-it was amazing)

 Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip with home baked tortilla crackers (take flour tortillas, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake until slightly brown-I use the spinach tortillas and they are delicious!)

Crab Salad (I also served some in cucumber cups-1-1.5" thick slices of cucumber with most of the center scooped out, leaving just a bit at the bottom and stuffed with crab salad)

Caprese Salad (tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil and olive oil-YUMMY!) and sliced french bread

Brie with crackers and fruit

Watermelon soaked in Prosseco

Sliced Chingalle salami and thin sliced Pecorrino cheese

Brownies

Cinnamon Crumb cake

The best punch in the world-recipe to follow

And of course plenty of Vino.

I am so grateful to Hoosier Mom (seriously woman, update your blog!) and another book club member for telling me to take a photo of the spread before we tucked in, otherwise I would have forgotten and it would only be a memory.  Tada!!!



Don't my dishes look fab?   Of course they do.  And now, for what's really important at "book club:"



Sadly several most of the members did not read the book!  There are usually one or two who don't but this time there were only two of us who read it!  WHAT?  This is a great book!  Funnily enough one of the members brought her copy of the movie and we decided to watch that.  It was fun!  I haven't watched a movie with a group of girls since I was in college.  We turned the subtitles on so we could still talk every now and then (mostly to discuss the costumes and who someone was) and ate, drank and chatted happily.   It was so much fun!  Sadly, I was having so much fun I forgot to take photos of the members of the book club enjoying themselves.  Ah, well.  I got a photo of the wine at least.




If you like period books, this is one to read and if you like period movies (even if they don't feature a wet shirted Mr. Darcy), this is a great movie!  Best of all, it's not expensive.  Click the button and pick up your own copy from Amazon!  This is really the best version of the movie.








Oh, wait, I almost forgot to include the best punch in the world recipe!  How silly of me.  It's super simple to make and your guests will oooh and ahhh over its sheer deliciousness.

1-12oz can frozen orange-pineapple concentrate
1-12oz can frozen lemonade concentrate
1-12oz can frozen limeade concentrate
1 liter Sprite or 7Up (I actually prefer it with 2 liters added, but that could just be me, you can always add more if you like)
3 cups cold water
1 bag frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
1 bag frozen pineapple (do not thaw)


Let the concentrates thaw and mix with water (stir well).  Just before guests arrive pour in Sprite (or 7Up) and add the frozen fruit (keeping the fruit frozen chills the punch!  No need for ice).
Sit back and enjoy your get together with a glass of this and graciously accept all the accolades your guests will throw at you for this amazing punch.  And don't forget to tell them that the super awesome MIHH gave you the recipe personally.

Do you like to throw parties and get togethers?  What's your favorite party recipe?  Blog about it!  Link back to this post if you like!  Oh, maybe I'll do a linky party!  Would anyone be up for that?  Let me know!  Speaking of linking up, I'm linking to Amanda at Serenity Now.

Weekend Bloggy Reading

7 comments:

Needles Everywhere said...

It sounds so great. My sister calls her group "a wine club with a book problem". I'd love to get in one myself.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That punch sounds di-vine!! I really wish I could be in your book/wine club. ;) It sounds like you all have a blast!! First of all, thank you so much for linking up with me. :) Second of all, thank you SO much for actually adding my link in to your post!!! You have no idea how much I appreciate that. :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your menu looks so good. It sounds like you had a fun night with the girls. I ended up dropping out of book club because I never had time to read the book.

Anonymous said...

Yay, this couldn't have come at a better time for me. I host my wine/ book club this Thursday night. I think I will switch it up though and do margaritas just because I feel like being a bit different. It really doesn't fit the theme of our book - Roses, but what the hay.
I love to decorate and set the table for a party but I struggle with the food part. I hate to cook so I will be copying your menu and that punch recipe down too for another drink option. Thanks for coming to my rescue.
Signed,
Saved in Iowa :)
Pam

These Are The Days said...

Looks so pretty...way to go hostess! Love me some JA too! I love book clubs, haven't been in a good one for a while, but when I am, it's all about the food.

Anonymous said...

What a cute little setup!

http://captivusliving.blogspot.com/2010/08/black-white-wednesday-17-mile-drive-ca.html

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, that looks GREAT! My book club meets at Panera Bread so you can imagine how inviting your spread looks in comparison. Drives me crazy when the peeps don't read or finish. It is after all a BOOK club.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...