Pages

The journey of a thousand miles begins with...the perfect pair of shoes.

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Quick, easy, patriotic cup cake paper wreath

Hi all. Before I talk about my wreath, I want to thank all of you who took the time to say such lovely things about my sweet Pepper. We still miss her like mad and your kind words meant a lot to me.

Okay, enough sadness, on to my super cute wreath. Well, I think it's super cute, anyway. And of course since I think it, it must be right.

You all know how much I love my crazy paper bag wreath and I wanted to create something similar, but also different (cause, why not be difficult?) for the 4th of July.  I had ideas, but they all seemed...too much like work complicated.  I thought and thought and thought had a drink or two and thought some more.  I surfed the web and came across some super cute ideas, but they just weren't what I was looking for.  After another drink a while, the perfect idea, which was an amalgam of several different ideas, came to me.  All I had to do was find the supplies.  And of course I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.  What's a creative girl in gorgeous heels to do?  Improvise!  I bought a foam wreath, some blue cupcake liners with white stars on them and some star confetti.  At home I whipped out my trusty glue gun, Matilda, and some red scrapbook paper and got down to business.

Since my cupcake liner were not solid color like I was looking for, but white on the inside, I took one and flipped it wrong side out, put a dab a glue in the middle and glued 2 of them together.  I then crinkled them up around my finger (put my finger in the center where the glue was and wrapped the liner around my finger) and started gluing them on.  I stuffed and stuffed until it the wreath was full.  I used 200 cupcake liners in all, including doubling them up.  Since they were doubled they were extra fluffy.  I like fluffy.  I then took strips of red scrapbook paper and folded it accordion style.  I glued the ends together to make a red medallion (note it must be longer than it is wide or this will not work), and then glued them to the wreath.  I picked out some of the large red and white stars from the confetti and glued them on randomly.  This took about an hour and a half start to finish, including breaks to be fascinated or grossed out by the people auditioning for America's Got Talent .  Some people don't have any.  I do though!  Check it out.  Isn't it cute?


Here's a close up of the medallions.  The one in the back was the wrong proportion so I couldn't get it to make a full circle.  I just glued the others over the open space and it looks like I meant to do that.  Clever of me, yes? Yes.


Here's our patriotic front door.  I added a few red flowers I had in my stash to the white pitcher along with some blue ribbon and voila!   Ready for the 4th.



The total cost of the wreath was about $7.  Mr. HH should really appreciate how much money I save him.

Hey, check it out!  My cute little wreath was featured!!!  I'm cool like that.
Visit tatertotsandjello.com



11 comments:

Simply Jessabells said...

wow, that wreath is awesome!!

Lindsey said...

love that wreath! and i can't believe you used cupcake papers! good idea!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love love love it!! You did a great job. :)

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

Very cute! I always love seeing the cupcake wrapper wreaths =)

Emily said...

Love it! Thanks for the idea!
-Emily @MarthaShmartha

Robyn said...

This is an awesome idea! Who would've THUNK you could do something so amazing with CCLiners! Your front door with all your little chachkies looks great too! Love it! I'm your newest follower! =-)

family of 4 on the move! said...

Ok that is too cute! You are so creative!
I am so going to stalk you and your a/c woman!! LOL

Madigan at madiganmade said...

This is too cute. I love how 'full' the wreath looks. The close up of the red & stars is striking. Totally grabbed my attention. Great pic.

Decor To Adore said...

I adore your patriotic spirit. It is red, white and bluetiful!

I hope you'll stop by for my bbq on an Anthropologie inspired white tablecloth. :)

KatrinkaJane said...

Never thought I'd see 4th of July decor that I actually liked. Love the practical details like # of wrappers used and "it must be longer than it is wide or this will not work." Thanks! :)
((fellow CSI crafter))

bendedspoon said...

sweet! less the calories inside ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...